Monday, July 2, 2012

1997

What use to be one of my favorite all time holidays, now is just a holiday full of memories. I remember as a child celebrating the 4th with swimming, eating, horseback riding, decorating our bikes for the parade, fireworks, and our entire family sleeping over at my grandparents. What use to be a week long celebration is now 1 day that we keep celebrating as a family for our little ones. My grandmother passed away on July 2nd of 1997. On July 4th was the last day I got to see my Nanny before laying her body to rest shortly after. My Nanny was one of the most amazing women I have ever met. She was beautiful inside and out. I think about her every day and how much she would enjoy all these great grand-kids running around, swimming, playing, and destroying her house. She was just that kind of woman. As long as her family was with her nothing else mattered. You see this holiday is bittersweet... I enjoy being with my entire family, but remember all too well the year of 1997 and how heartbroken I was. Hugs and kisses Nanny! You are loved and missed!

No comments: