Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Our trip to the Ortho

On Friday morning Instead of finishing up everything and preparing to head to the beach we were heading to the orthopedic with Tucker. We had already been told that his arm did not require surgery or any thing else, but a cast. Tucker was very nervous (as he should be) but was being very brave. Jeremy and I were just praying for a waterproof cast so at least he could swim at the beach. We fill out all necessary paperwork and wait til his name is called. We get back to the room and they immediately begin taking his temporary cast off. We then head back for more xrays, which to me looks so painful for him, but he did so well once again. The doctor read them and came into the room and said that they will need to mold the arm before they put cast on. He explained that it would consist of a little bending but didn't think he would need sedation or anything. Jeremy and I agreed and I headed out to pay for the waterproof cast. As I came back towards the room the nurse looked at me and shook her head and said you might not want to go in. So I waited outside til the doctor came out. He looked right at me and said, Mom he did so good." I wanted to say yeah is that why he was screaming his head off, but I held it in. I walked into the room and grabbed Tuck and he looked up at me with big tears in his eyes,snubbing and said, "Mommy that doctor popped it. It really popped." Jeremy just looked at me like he was going to kill someone! I sat with him until the red cast was complete and we headed back once again for more xrays. Me, Jeremy and Tucker took a sneak peek at the xrays and his arm was completely lined up and looked normal (of course it should be after what he just went through). We went back to the room and waited and waited. Tucker was so nervous that it wasn't right and that is why the doctor had not came back in yet, however, he finally came in and said it looks good and I will see you back in 5 weeks to get the cast off. Yes! He has to wear a full arm cast for 5 weeks, but at least it is red and waterproof! We loaded up and headed to the toy store where Tuck picked out 3 new toys. He chose a shark and scuba diver, 2 finger skateboards, and an alligator. The alligator may seem very ironic considering that is what he was wrestling when he fell off the chair and broke it in the first place. We got some lunch and searched all the drug stores for a cast cover for a child (we wanted extra protection for the beach). Aunt Connie found us one and picked it up and we went on home to finish packing, nap, pick up the house, and adapt to our temporary 1 armed son. We are so proud of Tucker and his bravery the past 2 days!



Jeremy made it home from Nashville in time to go to the orthopedic with us.

This is a picture after they removed temporary cast and finished up with more xrays.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Poor baby! I hate it when they are in pain.